Thursday, June 2, 2011

What am I reading?

Every author needs to be a reader first. A good book gives inspiration and helps guide your writing abilities. Sometimes it can be hard to find the time to read, but I've been trying to do just that more regularly. This is the last book that I finished.

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Why did I pick it up?
Every time I go to the bookstore I look at the young adult section, specifically at Tamora Pierce's books, despite the fact that I own them all. This book caught my eye because of it's name which is similar to Lionness Rampant by Tamora Pierce, and it had a quote from Tamora Pierce on the cover. Yeah, I'm a little bit obsessed with her.

First impression
I had no idea what the book would be like when I started, and the first couple of chapters had me a little worried. The writing was engaging and at a good speed, but there were some uses of words that threw me out of the story. Once I got past the first few chapters, I found this problem disappeared.

What made me keep reading?
I have personally never read a story about killer unicorns before, so the original storyline itself was a huge draw. Combined with compelling characters, lots of action and a plot that moved along at a good pace, I was hardly able to set the book down.

What would I change?
Because there was a lot of action throughout the book, I found myself wanting an even more exciting climax. It was good, but I felt like there could have been more at stake. There were also a few loose ends at the end that I wanted cleared up.

Final thoughts
I really enjoyed this book. The setting, characters, and writing were amazing. I would have liked to see the villain be more evil in the end, but still a great read. I would highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment