Friday, June 3, 2011

How to be a writer.

Not sure what it takes to be a writer? Follow these six steps and you will be well on your way.


Step One – Read.
If you don’t read books, then why would you ever want to create one?


Step Two – Write.
Do this step as often as you can. It doesn’t have to be full stories, it doesn’t have to be fiction, just put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and write.


Step Three – Finish something.
This is often the hardest part for any aspiring author. I can understand that. I actually have three books on the go right now, and I worry that none will get finished. Just remember, it doesn’t have to be perfect the first time. All you need for this step is a start, a middle, and an end.


Step Four – Edit.
Nobody is perfect. Don’t be afraid of ripping that story apart and making it better. I know it’s a lot of work but it will be worth it.


Step Five – Repeat steps one through four.
You’re next book will be better than your last. Every time you read or write, you are learning, and that will show in your next piece of work.

Step Six – Never give up.
I’ve been writing for about 15 years and am only now releasing my debut novel. I am sure that there will be people who tell me I shouldn’t have bothered, or that I should have waited until my next book. There are always people ready to tell you that your work is bad or amateur or sloppy. The trick is to keep going, even when you think they might be right because...

A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” – RICHARD BACH

No comments:

Post a Comment