Monday, May 16, 2011

How did you do auditions for your trailer?

The auditions for my book trailer were this weekend. It was so much fun. We didn't have a huge crowd at the auditions, but the ones that did come were amazing. The talent on this island is ridiculous, and I'm so happy for Panache Models who have some amazingly talented and beautiful clients. That's where most of the people auditioning heard about the project.

Anyway, enough promoting their awesomeness, time to talk about the actual auditions. We really wanted this to be as professional as possible despite the fact that we had zero budget. First, we sent out the information on the internet, calling for people to audition. When they got back to us, I sent out the script and told people to arrive at the location between 12 and 3.

The location itself was an important part of the process. Since the people auditioning were potentionally very young (14-19), it would have been too awkward having the auditions in my house. So we talked to the university and held them there. We also requested that parents were present for anyone under 18. It worked out really well since there were seats available for people to wait in the hall while we did the auditions in another room. I couldn't have asked for a better location.

The auditions themselves we filmed. I mostly just watched while they read the script and answered any questions they had. I didn't do much directing since I was shy and really, they were mostly on the mark on their own. Marsha, my friend and videographer, both shot the videos and read the other part of the script so that the actors had cues to work with. After the time was up, we watched the videos, put our top two choices side by side on the screen to see how they looked together, and then we made our decision.

I won't say who we chose until after we film next weekend, and possibly not even until we do the reveal of the trailer. I'm really hoping the next stage will go well, though the editing is going to take a while due to jobs and weddings and such. I'm really excited about this project, and I can't wait to see my words come to life. I hope everyone enjoys it just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment