Wednesday, November 2, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011


This year I’ve decided to join the frenzy of National Novel Writing Month. I’ve been getting no where in edits for my latest book, not because making the edits is particularly difficult, but just because I’ve been making excuses to not sit down and do it. NaNoWriMo is all about just sitting down and doing it, no matter how crappy the writing might be, and I think that’s important for me right now. Otherwise I’ll end up going another month or two or three not writing or editing anything.

For NaNoWriMo, I’ve set aside the novel that I’m editing and starting fresh. When I was deciding whether or not to attempt this crazy goal of writing 50,000 words in a month, I came to the decision that yes I would, mostly because I saw it as a way to start the sequel to Magic High. Unfortunately when I finally sat down to write yesterday evening, after putting it off all day, I realized that I needed to work on something completely different. Magic High and my new book have a similar feel to them, so I need to try refreshing my brain by writing something completely different.

Now, I’ll admit, the story that I’m going to work on isn’t completely new. I got the idea from reading one of my old story ideas I had sitting around on my computer. I’m completely reworking it and may even combine a couple of story ideas into one, so I’m not going in completely blind, but it’s also an idea that I haven’t had fresh in my mind for years. It feels new even if it isn’t.

So let the frenzy begin! 1788 words written in day one and hopefully I’ll be able to keep up the pace. Want to follow my progress or become a writing buddy? I’ve joined the NaNoWriMo.org site in hopes of gaining a little more incentive to finish. My name on there is cggaudet so go ahead and make me a buddy. Good luck to all you fellow writers and see you at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment